Tuesday, December 31, 2019

A Brand-New Year


Tomorrow we begin a brand-new year. Maybe even a brand-new decade, depending on how you calculate it. This is traditionally the time when we review our accomplishments, failures, and missed opportunities over the past year and make resolutions to be better in the future.

Among the most popular New Year's resolutions are weight loss, physical fitness, and financial fitness. All of these goals are admirable and none are easy to achieve. That's why many people give up after the first month or so.

These goals can complement each other. If you attain a healthy weight and physical fitness, you might spend less money on doctor's visits and prescription drugs to treat weight-related illnesses. You can save money by cutting out junk food and empty-calorie snacks, which will also help with weight loss.

You can torpedo your financial goals by investing in an expensive weight-loss program or joining a gym, and then letting those self-improvement resolutions fall by the wayside. As a lifetime member of Weight Watchers (now rebranded as WW), I've watched year after year as standing-room-only January meetings shrink in half by March. Gyms experience the same scenario. In fact, managers have no problem overselling memberships at the beginning of the year; they count on a certain percentage of new members not showing up. Think of all the wasted money on the weight-loss and fitness industries! If you're going to shell out hard-earned funds, stick with the program to protect your financial investment.

I believe financial motivation has kept me at free-lifetime status with WW as much as the desire to maintain a healthy weight. As long as I attend at least one meeting a month and weigh in at goal (or within a two-pound grace weight), I maintain my free status. If I miss a month or tip the scales too much when I check in, I have to pay until I get back to goal. That fear prevents me from straying too far from the plan.

It's fine to pay for a program that will help you achieve your goal. For some, it's the only way, as WW was with me. Do some research first, to ensure you're getting the best value, and that the program is something you can realistically follow and reap benefits from. And then commit. Sticking with the plan can be a financial resolution as well.

What are your resolutions for 2020? I’d love to hear your comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment